On the Left Brain Artist podcast, I will bring you weekly interviews with artists who are actively creating art and actively selling their art. Of course, I’ve chosen these artists because of the quality of their artwork. But I’ve also chosen them because they have experience showing their work in galleries, stores, festivals, and they have stories to share that can help other artists who want to sell their work. Each week I will bring you an interview with one of these artists. Later in the week, I’ll take one thing we discussed that I think it’s important to expand upon – one thing that they’ve done to increase their business. They’ve had success doing this one thing, and I want to share that success with you.
Listen here or download from iTunes, CastBox, or Stitcher.
When I spoke with artist Jennifer Love Gironda, she talked about how she creates an art piece a day. Here are my thoughts on why you should establish a practice of creating art every day and how you can do it:
- It will improve your skills and challenges you to try something new.
- It helps you to develop your style.
- It gives you accountability.
- Joining an art group gives you outside accountability, encouragement, feedback, and a sense of community.
- You will learn to start and finish a project.
- Do small, flat pieces that store easily.
- Make with the supplies you have on hand.
- Set up a place to do your art or a way to take it with you.
- Set aside time every day.
- Don’t worry if it’s not perfect.
Here are some challenges you can find on the internet (click on the links to find them):
And here are some interesting books I’ve found: