Artist Lorraine Bell was a part of the group that started The Documented Life Project, about seven years ago. She is a lifelong journal keeper who expanded her artwork to include sketches and stories in travel journals. She’s truly a wandering artist, and she’s planned workshops for next year in Italy and France. She offers online courses on sketching and journal keeping, and she hosts a podcast called The Wandering Artist.
Listen here or download from iTunes, Spotify, Google Play, CastBox, or Stitcher.
Here are some great takeaways from our conversation:
- Lorraine creates her own books for her travel sketches. Often she travels with loose pages and binds them into a book when she returns from her travels. Loose pages give much more flexibility in your drawing and ability to add mixed media items.
- Seven years ago, Lorraine and 4 other artists started the Documented Life Project. Each week for a year, they offered a lesson or prompt for creating art in a planner. They ended up with a Facebook group of many thousand participants. Don’t be afraid to start something online. You won’t know if it will be something that resonates with others unless you try.
- For her online classes, she has set up one Facebook group that they all can use. This is less time-consuming than doing one group per class.
- When offering online classes, you have the option of offering them through someone else’s platform. That enables your class to reach a whole different set of potential students.
- When we were talking about overseas retreats, Lorraine made a very good point. As a single woman, it’s easier and safer to do your traveling through retreats, where most everything is organized for you and you get to experience it with other women.
- If you are looking to host a retreat elsewhere, one option is to connect with a local retreat venue that puts on retreats all the time. They’ll know the area and can plan the tours and excursions for your group.
- Lorraine keeps her art supply list small when students are traveling to her classes. This makes it easier, especially when it’s an overseas retreat.